Friday, September 15, 2006

turning 26 and the one-of-a-kind proposal

it was albert's birthday yesterday and like our usual routine everytime we have something to celebrate, we pig out (TGI Friday's) and watch whatever is worth watching at the silver screen (monster house).

while waiting for the last full show, the inevitable topic came in : age.

and here goes our conversation (as much as I can remember):

me: what are the goals that you consider achieved?
albert: hmm, honestly i think I don't have any. I seem to be like "live by the day" person. how bout you?
me: well, i was able to have jen finish her studies....
albert: that isn't a goal. it's your obligation. not in a negative way, note that.
me: well, i consider it one. whenever they achieve something that I had a part of, it becomes my goal too, and it gives you that elating feeling, right? unlike having them as an obligation, giving you another alien feeling...
albert: do you expect them not to finish their studies? i mean, it's kinda expected to happen, right?
me: yes, but, it's just that since i have to be the financier, i have to put them in my priorities list, then they become my goal...
albert: (he also happens to support his young brother Jan) same with me, but i never really considered it my goal...
me: well, it works for me.

Then the topic shifted to our future. note: our future. knowing my guy, he usually jokes around whenever he asks me when we are going to get married. he does that na parang nanglalambing, so when he asked me last night, I really said "seryoso ka ba?" because he looked like it! And he answered, "Oo! Sa tingin mo ba hinde?"

Is that considered proposing? Definitely not. For those ultra-hyped with proposing, this will be the last thing you wanted to happen. But being practical as I am, immediately I told him, "we got to start saving now!" And he just said, "oool! let's open a joint account, and save a certain amount every payday. how much do we have to spend?"

After telling him that major points to consider, he just sat there listening to me. Of course, he is clueless on what he's supposed to do. So I first asked him: What's the date? We will be 28 on 2008, is that year ok? He agreed, then asked me the month. I just said, if Oct.19 is a weekend, let's have it then. As I grabbed his calendar wallet, I was kinda happy to see, that it is! A Sunday! How fortunate can I be? My wedding to be on our anniversary.

No comments: