Friday, November 18, 2005

Half disappointed, half scared. The Goblet of Fire movie review

It was done on a spur decision. After hearing so many awestruck reviews from friends who just watched the premiere night, I decided to go and watch it even if I have planned to watch it on a weekend.

Heading straight to G4 with Albert, we bought food and sat there anxiously waiting.

Then what was disappointing? Mike Newell dwelled so much on nonsense stuff (one example was the scene where McGonagall was teaching the whole class of waltz), but cutting down so much on the most important parts.

I understood him removing the Dursleys, SPEW issue with Hermione, shortening the whole Quidditch World Cup & even the whole Triwizard Task. But what the hell, he removed even the Parting of Ways scene (which is the supposed ending, wherein after Barty Crouch Jr. explained how he got out of Azkaban and the rest, resulting Fudge to think Dumbledore was being a lunatic believing Harry). It's a very important part, specially for those who relied on the movie instead of reading the whole book series. What Newell did was putting a happy ending? C'mon!

And guess what, more mistakes: Patil twins walking inside the Gryffindor common room, but the other Patil was a Ravenclaw! Snape scolding Harry and Ron too much inside the library? And isn't Veritaserum be used only 3 drops, not pouring the whole bottle inside Barty Crouch Jr? And isn't the supposed effect was to make the latter dreamy while telling the whole tale? Oh, and how come Barty Crouch Sr. was suddenly seen dead? And is Moaning Myrtle really that flirty?

Good thing I was so scared of Voldemort. Ralph Fiennes really did as expected: making Voldemort alive again, and bound to put the whole wizarding community in more terror than before. I was imagining that if I was Harry, I could have been dead rightafter Wormtail cut my own wrist. I even felt tears in my eyes after seeing Cedric dead.

I just wish JK Rowling chooses another director. Choose the director of the first movie. I wish the original Dumbledore actor is still alive. I couldn't imagine another Dumbledore, not even Michael Gambon.

No comments: